Towards Belief – Suffering
In August I wrote a review of the DVD series Towards Belief. Since then I have re-watched the series in my home group. The information shared was so helpful I thought I would post a brief overview of the key thoughts here, starting this week with the first topic: Suffering
• Suffering doesn’t disprove the existence of God. Just because we can’t imagine a good reason why God might allow something to happen doesn’t mean there can’t be one.
• Real freedom means real choice and it comes at great cost
• A parent’s perspective is different to a child’s. We assume if God has good reasons for allowing suffering then we ought to be told what those reasons are. Yet we are not always able to explain our decisions to our children.
• We procreate knowing our children will have to deal with suffering but it doesn’t stop us from having children.
• The world is currently broken. In the beginning it wasn’t and there was no death or suffering.
• Without God there is no hope for the future. Without God we wouldn’t have the strength to go through suffering.
• The Cross means I know God’s heart. A loving God must have loving reasons for allowing suffering.