Towards Belief – Religious Violence
Continuing with a more in depth review of the DVD series – Towards Belief. This week looking at Religious Violence:
• Passionate commitment to ideology causes wars. Anything people get passionate about can cause violence eg. land rights, politics, religion
• Atheists Mao Tse-tong, Stalin and Hitler killed 100,000,000 people between them
• Not all the violence in the Bible recorded in the Bible is approved of, in fact some is recorded to point out how bad things were
• War was part of Old Testament culture
• Some of the descriptions of warfare are rhetoric, typical of the time period
• Christianity has always had a pacifist stream as well as Christian soldiers
• Often religion is used as an excuse or pretext for violence
• Are those who claim to take up arms for Christian causes obeying or disobeying Jesus?
• Are wars a genuine expression of Christianity as seen in the life of Jesus?
• Many religious wars were caused because people weren’t Christian enough
• Just because you claim to be Christian doesn’t mean you are – Saddam claimed to be a democratic leader