I believe that “all Scripture is God-breathed” (2 Timothy 3:16) but not God dictated. This means God inspired the biblical authors yet their words also reflect their personality, context and culture.
I would like to share five beliefs that I personally appreciated the most about Jesus:
1. Jesus loves me, completely, unconditionally, extravagantly, endlessly. He loves me and it overwhelms me just to think of it. Every love song, story and poem that has ever been written says something about the way Jesus loves me.
2. Jesus gives me grace, freely, recklessly, abundantly, ridiculously. He has a bottomless supply of grace made available to me through his death and resurrection. This grace is offered to me for no good reason. I never have to lift a finger to earn it. It’s mine.
3. Jesus chooses to bless me, unexpectedly, undeservedly, without warning, without asking. Suddenly he touches my life or my circumstances with unmerited favour.
4. Jesus has a plan, it is a vast plan, an amazing, all encompassing, eternal plan where all the pieces will finally come together and make perfect sense. A plan that started before time began and will continue for all time.
5. Jesus became one of us, fully human, ordinary, an every day, common human being. Jesus, God’s Son, left heaven to enter my world. He brings me face to face with a God who demonstrates his intimate involvement with me and his intense desire to connect with me. This is staggering and completely unheard of in any other religion. It ruins any idea that God is disinterested or aloof or distant.