God Expresses His Character in the 10 Commandments
Recently, I was listening to a sermon and the preacher was expounding the thought that the 10 commandments are more than a list of rules. God had a larger purpose. Through these commandments, God is also teaching us his character (Exodus 20:1-17).
1. You must not have any other god but me – He is the only true God.
2. You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea – God is bigger than any idol, we cannot make an adequate image.
3. You must not misuse the name of the LORD your God – His name isn’t a name tag, it reveals his character.
4. Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy – Sabbath rest reminds us to trust him, and not rely on our own efforts.
5. Honour your father and mother – He is a relational God and cares about our relationships.
6. You must not murder – He is the creator of life, and values each one.
7. You must not commit adultery – He is a covenant keeping God.
8. You must not steal – He desires to bless us with good things, we don’t need to grasp for material possessions.
9. You must not testify falsely against your neighbour – He is truth and acts with integrity.
10. You must not covet your neighbour’s house – He wants to provide all that we need.