As I have reflected on the issues Bessel raises, these are a few brief thoughts that I found helpful in dealing with past trauma:
- – Find activities where you feel safe and can completely relax.
- – Listen to your body, particularly if you feel muscle tension or a sense of being on alert for no particular reason. Most likely, your brain is connecting something in the present to an incident of trauma in the past.
- – Allow yourself to remember.
- – Breathe deeply and relax as you remember. Tell yourself, “That was then and this is now.”
- – See a qualified counsellor (or a similarly qualified professional) about issues you aren’t able to resolve yourself.
For my book review of The Body Keeps the Score, click here.